Assignment: Discrimination Paper Part I: Interpersonal Reflection
A Class Divided explores the nature of prejudice. Third grade teacher Jane Elliott deliberately created a classroom situation to teach her students how it feels to be on the receiving end of discrimination. This is an encore presentation of the classic documentary on third-grade teacher Jane Elliott’s “blue eyes/brown eyes” exercise, originally conducted in the days following the assassination of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. in 1968. This classic classroom experiment, conducted in the late 1960s in a small Midwestern town, demonstrates how quickly and easily schoolchildren can internalize prejudice and discriminate. Years later, these children discuss the valuable lessons they learned from this experiment. Elliott employs this same teaching strategy with a group of adults in the workplace, and discusses their reactions.
This assignment is designed to allow you to synthesize what you have been learning about the various dimensions of diversity and the necessity of treating everyone in an inclusive, sensitive and respectful manner.
Discrimination Paper Part I: Interpersonal Reflection
Assignment: Discrimination After viewing the video, consider the following questions and write your response. Your response should be 4 pages and should address each question thoroughly, reflecting an accurate representation of what you have learned in this course. Demonstrate scholarship by utilizing supporting resources to justify your ideas and responses:
- What did you learn from the film? What scene or scenes do you think you’ll still remember a month from now and why those scenes?
- Did any part of the film surprise you? Do you think someone with a disability, of a different sexual orientation, an older American or some of a different religion would also find it surprising? Why or why not?
- Both Elliott and her former students talk about whether this exercise should be done with all children. What do you think? If the exercise could be harmful to children, as Elliott suggests, what do you think actual discrimination might do? Use an example, different from the example you used to describe labels, from what you have learned about people with disabilities, older people, sexual minorities, or people of differing religions.
- How can negative and positive labels placed on a group become self-fulfilling prophecies? Use an example from what you have learned about people with disabilities, older people, sexual minorities, or people of differing religions.
- Based on what you have learned in this course, discuss an example that illustrates each of the following statements:
- Dimensions of diversity may be hidden or visible.
- Also, dimensions of diversity are in a constant state of flux.
- Dimensions of diversity are not always clear-cut or easily defined.
Discrimination Paper Part II: Personal Interview
For Part II of this assignment, you will have a conversation with someone who you feel may have faced discrimination. Examples include someone with a disability, an older American, someone who is a sexual minority, or someone who lives in a multicultural family. After choosing an individual to interview, explain to this individual what you have seen in the Class Divided program. Invite them to watch the program, or parts of the program, with you. After watching or discussing the program, pose the following questions to the individual. Be sure to explain the reason for your questions and why you have selected them to participate in the interview:
- What, if any, discrimination do you experience?
- How have you coped with this situation?
- What do you think needs to change at the cultural level to reduce discrimination?
Following your refection (Part I listed above), add 2 pages to your paper which addresses the following:
- A description of the individual you chose to interview and why. Explain how you went about approaching this individual for the interview.
- What are your observations about the person’s view of discrimination and how it affects his/her daily life?
- Did the interaction with the person change your view of discrimination? If so, explain how the interaction has affected you either positively or negatively. If it did not change your view of discrimination, explain why.
- How well do you think you would cope with discrimination from this person’s perspective?
- Finally, what is the best manner in which to advocate for those facing discrimination? What actions will you change based on what you have learned in this course and how will you serve as an advocate for those individuals who face discrimination?
Assignment: Discrimination states that Your final assignment, consisting of both Part I and II, should be approximately 6 pages. Be sure to address each topic listed above and, as appropriate, cite the online course, the textbook, and other credible sources to substantiate the points you are making. For example, when discussing an example of how diversity may be hidden or invisible cite sources, which you have referenced to substantiate the points you are making.
Preview of the answer..
The main thing I learnt from this film is that discrimination is brought about by people’s stereotypic believes that are based on fallacious and unrealistic views. This aspect is clearly exhibited when the blue-eyed student begin discriminating their brown-eyed classmates after being told they were superior to them. Previously, these students used to treat each other equally as they never knew that the blue-eyed were better than the brow-eyed. Immediately after learning their superiority, the blue-eyed started discriminating other students as they felt special. For instance, they avoided playing with them, and were
Important information for writing discussion questions and participation
Welcome to class
Hello class and welcome to the class and I will be your instructor for this course. This is a -week course and requires a lot of time commitment, organization, and a high level of dedication. Please use the class syllabus to guide you through all the assignments required for the course. I have also attached the classroom policies to this announcement to know your expectations for this course. Please review this document carefully and ask me any questions if you do. You could email me at any time or send me a message via the “message” icon in halo if you need to contact me. I check my email regularly, so you should get a response within 24 hours. If you have not heard from me within 24 hours and need to contact me urgently, please send a follow up text to
I strongly encourage that you do not wait until the very last minute to complete your assignments. Your assignments in weeks 4 and 5 require early planning as you would need to present a teaching plan and interview a community health provider. I advise you look at the requirements for these assignments at the beginning of the course and plan accordingly. I have posted the YouTube link that explains all the class assignments in detail. It is required that you watch this 32-minute video as the assignments from week 3 through 5 require that you follow the instructions to the letter to succeed. Failure to complete these assignments according to instructions might lead to a zero. After watching the video, please schedule a one-on-one with me to discuss your topic for your project by the second week of class. Use this link to schedule a 15-minute session. Please, call me at the time of your appointment on my number. Please note that I will NOT call you.
Please, be advised I do NOT accept any assignments by email. If you are having technical issues with uploading an assignment, contact the technical department and inform me of the issue. If you have any issues that would prevent you from getting your assignments to me by the deadline, please inform me to request a possible extension. Note that working fulltime or overtime is no excuse for late assignments. There is a 5%-point deduction for every day your assignment is late. This only applies to approved extensions. Late assignments will not be accepted.
If you think you would be needing accommodations due to any reasons, please contact the appropriate department to request accommodations.
Plagiarism is highly prohibited. Please ensure you are citing your sources correctly using APA 7th edition. All assignments including discussion posts should be formatted in APA with the appropriate spacing, font, margin, and indents. Any papers not well formatted would be returned back to you, hence, I advise you review APA formatting style. I have attached a sample paper in APA format and will also post sample discussion responses in subsequent announcements.
Your initial discussion post should be a minimum of 200 words and response posts should be a minimum of 150 words. Be advised that I grade based on quality and not necessarily the number of words you post. A minimum of TWO references should be used for your initial post. For your response post, you do not need references as personal experiences would count as response posts. If you however cite anything from the literature for your response post, it is required that you cite your reference. You should include a minimum of THREE references for papers in this course. Please note that references should be no more than 5 years old except recommended as a resource for the class. Furthermore, for each discussion board question, you need ONE initial substantive response and TWO substantive responses to either your classmates or your instructor for a total of THREE responses. There are TWO discussion questions each week, hence, you need a total minimum of SIX discussion posts for each week. I usually post a discussion question each week. You could also respond to these as it would count towards your required SIX discussion posts for the week.
I understand this is a lot of information to cover in 5 weeks, however, the Bible says in Philippians 4:13 that we can do all things through Christ that strengthens us. Even in times like this, we are encouraged by God’s word that we have that ability in us to succeed with His strength. I pray that each and every one of you receives strength for this course and life generally as we navigate through this pandemic that is shaking our world today. Relax and enjoy the course!
Please read through the following information on writing a Discussion question response and participation posts.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Important information on Writing a Discussion Question
- Your response needs to be a minimum of 150 words (not including your list of references)
- There needs to be at least TWO references with ONE being a peer reviewed professional journal article.
- Include in-text citations in your response
- Do not include quotes—instead summarize and paraphrase the information
- Follow APA-7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
Participation –replies to your classmates or instructor
- A minimum of 6 responses per week, on at least 3 days of the week.
- Each response needs at least ONE reference with citations—best if it is a peer reviewed journal article
- Each response needs to be at least 75 words in length (does not include your list of references)
- Responses need to be substantive by bringing information to the discussion or further enhance the discussion. Responses of “I agree” or “great post” does not count for the word count.
- Follow APA 7th edition
- Points will be deducted if the above is not followed
- Remember to use and follow APA-7th edition for all weekly assignments, discussion questions, and participation points.
- Here are some helpful links
- The is a great resource