HLT 600 GC Week 8 Policy Brief Assignment
HLT 600 GC Week 8 Policy Brief Assignment Latest
1) Generate a policy brief (750-1,000 words) which targets a contemporary issue in public health policy that has global implications (e.g., smoking, obesity, infant mortality, etc.).
2) Refer to the “HLT 600 Policy Brief Guide.”
3) While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
4) This assignment uses a grading rubric. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
Policy Brief Guide
Legislators seldom have the time to read through all the literature related to a specific health care policy question. To make well-informed decisions, they rely on short, tightly written briefs that quickly and cogently relay the important policy facts, questions, and arguments about an issue.
An effective policy brief will advance a persuasive argument in a concise, clearly organized fashion. A policy brief does not include a lengthy analysis or review of the literature.
Policy Brief Assignment Template
- Begin with a brief overview and state the health care problem.
- Include the history and social context of the public health condition.
- Clearly state your recommendations for addressing the issue up front.
- Outline the history or background relevant to the global prevalence of the condition and health disparities related to the condition.
- Describe the population(s) most affected by the conditions.
- Describe the major agencies responsible for enforcement of public health related to this issue along with outlining their roles.
- Constructively criticize arguments, ideologies, and the quality of current actions being taken to address the condition.
- Use evidence from literature and other sources to support your perspectives and advance your recommendations.
- Conclude with a persuasive argument and summary statement.
- Summarize the major points and provide recommendations for the implementation of specific policies to address the health care issue.
Adapted from the International Society for Technology in Education at