Transport Proteins Mutations Discussion
Select one of the three options below. Use the Written Assignment Guidelines document for further instructions, including formatting.
In lecture, we introduced ourselves to a group of lipids called steroids, which have a unique structure involving four fused carbon rings. The functions of steroid hormones rely on the chemical groups attached to those rings and how the body responds to them as a signal. For this assignment, research a type of steroid, either natural or synthetic, and describe the following:
• The structure of the steroid, specifically the unique chemical groups. (You may find a picture and insert it into your document, but you must also describe the unique groups with words!)
• The function of the steroid.
• The discovery or history of the steroid.
• Its use in medical, pharmaceutical, etc.
• List any side effects that might occur on the human body.
(For a quick overview of steroid types go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steroid#Types.)
Technology is improving rapidly, allowing us to find more answers to questions on cell structure and function and providing us with higher quality images. For this assignment, you are to find a science news article that talks about a recent finding on either cell structures or a unique function of a particular type of cell. Describe the following in your assignment:
• The cell structure or function the researchers focused on.
• A short description of how they conducted their experiment.
• The new findings and how they change our understanding.
• The importance of their findings to medicine, food, etc.
• The new speculations they make that they haven’t tested yet.
(Google “Science News” for a variety of sites dedicated to the topic. Also use Google with the “news” filter selected and put in “cell structure.” For ANY report, you are going to need multiple sources, so be prepared to branch out.)
Transport proteins in the plasma membrane are important for moving solutes in and out of the cell. These proteins work very efficiently, but structural changes due to mutations can lead to diseases. For this assignment, research a disease caused by a non-functional transport protein and describe the following:
• The transport protein and the disease caused by its mutation.
• The normal function of the protein.
• The effect of the mutation on the protein’s structure (primary, secondary, etc).
• The symptoms of this disease.
• The treatments for this disease.