Well-nourished 75-year-old patient
A patient reports “something flew in my eye” about an hour ago while he was splitting logs. If there were a foreign body in his eye, the nurse practitioner would expect to find all except: Question 2 Your well-nourished 75-year-old patient has come into the office for a physical exam and states that she recently had two nosebleeds. She does not take any anticoagulants, and you have ruled out any coagulopathies. The most likely cause of these nosebleeds is: Question 3 Mark has just been given a diagnosis of congestive heart failure. Which of his medications should be discontinued? Question 5 Which of the following is the most important diagnosis to rule out in the adult patient with acute bronchitis? Question 6 Risk factors for acute arterial insufficiency include which of the following? Question 7 What is the Gold standard for the diagnosis of asthma? Question 8 Which of the following dermatologic vehicles are the most effective in absorbing moisture and decreasing friction? Question 9 Amaurosis fugax is described as a: Question 10 Jennifer, age 49, who has a history of hyperlipidemia, has symptoms that lead you to suspect unstable angina. Your next action would be to:
Well-nourished 75-year-old patient
Question 11 Which of the following patient characteristics are associated with chronic bronchitis? Question 13 John, age 59, presents with recurrent, sharply circumscribed red papules and plaques with a powdery white scale on the extensor aspect of his elbows and knees. What do you suspect? Question 14 A 2 year old presents with a white pupillary reflex. What is the most likely cause of this finding? Question 15 Expected spirometry readings when the patient has chronic emphysema include: Question 16 Larry, age 66, is a smoker with hyperlipidemia and hypertension. He is 6 months post-MI. To prevent reinfarction, the most important behavior change that he can make is to: Question 17 A 58-year-old man is diagnosed with Barrett’s esophagus after an endoscopy. He has no known allergies. Which of the following medications is MOST appropriate to treat this patient’s disorder? Question 18 A 57-year-old male presents to urgent care complaining of substernal chest discomfort for the past hour. The EKG reveals ST elevations in Leads II, III, and AVF. The nurse practitioner is aware that these changes are consistent with which myocardial infarction territory? Question 19 A patient presents with periorbital erythema and edema, fever, and nasal drainage. The nurse practitioner should: Question 20 An employee picnic menu includes grilled hamburgers, potato salad, and homemade ice cream sundaes. Within an hour after the meal, several children and parents begin to have nausea, vomiting and stomach cramps. None of those affected have fever. What is the most likely etiologic agent? Question 21 Stacy, age 27, states that she has painless, white, slightly raised patches in her mouth. They are probably caused by: Question 22 Treatment of H.pylori includes which of the following?
Walden NUrs6531 midterm
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
- Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
- One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
- I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
- Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
- In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
- Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
- Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
- Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
- Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
- I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
- I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
- As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
- It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
- For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
- Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
- Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
- Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
- The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
- Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
- If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
- I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
- As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
- Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
- Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
- Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.